This is such a huge topic and one that I want to give insight on.
This is such a common question we get from clients and one that I hear spoken about very often.
Keto, Paleo, Atkins, IIFYM, Clean Eating, Intuitive eating the list goes on and on.
It seems like into today’s world we are always trying to fit into a typical category for eating.
We are always trying to fit into a certain box of eating that friends or relatives say we should.
The mainstream media doesn’t help as they are pushing the new fad diet that will boost ratings and their following that ultimately will hurt people or lead them to less than stellar results.
As a Coach I have made it my personal mission to fight back against this one piece of valuable content at a time.
I know from YEARS of Coaching now that all that really matters is Calories. Calories are really the main determiner of fat loss or weight gain.
With that in mind I typically allow the client to determine which route to take with the style of eating they prefer.
Some do really well with a strict diet that is low in carbs. So I may take more of a Paleo approach.
Some do better with a more flexible approach and enjoy a treat now and then so I may take a Flexible Diet approach. As long as this particular person is eating mostly Whole Foods and gets in their nutrients everyday of course.
Personally I like the flexibility that a “Flexible Diet” can give. I like to have a little treat weekly and so do most other people.
I want to dive into this conversation and throw some facts at you to help you decided what is best for you.
What is a Diet?
Let me jump into a concept I learned from a fellow Coach named Sam Miller.
Sam said one time that a diet and Nutrition are actually different things.
Let me explain.
A Diet is a style or type of eating. It is where you stick to a particular balance of macro nutrients or you eat a certain way based off laid out guidelines of principles.
Diets offer very little variation and unfortunately do not account for the persons hormone profile or lifestyle.
You eat a certain way no matter what with less flexibility.
Now when we talk on the topic of Nutrition there is tons of variation and options available to us.
Nutrition is the practice of fitting food or how you eat into your lifestyle with you own specific individuality taken into account.
When we view how we eat as “Nutrition” instead of a “Diet” we can better tailor our way of eating to our lives.
“Flexibility is Sustainability”
When we can be more flexible with our eating there is no need to bend to a particular method and we can eat however it works best for us.
So let’s break this all down and give some quick take away points.
Whatever you want to do primarily comes down to calories. Studies have already proven this. It is not the only way but it is the “Main” way.
High Carb Diets Work
Low Carb Diets Work
Paleo can work
IIFYM (If it fits your macros) works
Almost anything can work but all that really matters is calories and a focus on the main things like:
- Adherence – This is a main piece of the puzzle because if you cannot stick to you plan and a style of eating that works for your lifestyle you will fail.
- Protein – This could possibly turn into an argument but studies have also proven this. You need protein….PERIOD. As low as .8g per pound of bodyweight to 1.5g per pound of bodyweight is ideal for most people.
- Nutrients – We need nutrient dense foods from whole foods and things that are not processed. Sure you can fit in a treat every now and then but most of your food (90%) should come from nutrient dense foods.
- Workouts – You need to workout 3-4 days a week minimum. If you can’t do that then you need to do some other sort of movement the same amount several days per week. That is a non-negiotable. We are not a society that works and moves a lot all day anymore. We sit….Constantly. So go out and move!
- Metric – You need some sort of tracking system for progress. Macros, calories, food journals, weigh ins, measurements, etc.. Are you improving or not. Do you feel better or not? Tracking this daily, weekly, and monthly is the only way.
So that is it. There is no secret diet, tricks, or methods to get your results.
Consistency and what works for you best will always win. And Accountability of course…
Want to do a FREE Strategy Call or Session to hear about our Nutrition Coaching? Click the link below!
Follow me on Instagram –> @thecf7ccoach
Follow the gym –> @crossfit7cities